Venison Stew with Punjab Lal
This contains venison and you can substitute that ingredient with beef stew meat (chuck or top roast) for those who dare not eat or cannot acquire venison.
This will produce 3 to 4 quarts.
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 pounds of cubed venison or (1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat cubed)
- 1/2 pound Andouille sausage, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 8 medium red potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 28oz cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 12oz beer, Guinness used for this batch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Punjab Lal
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Heat a 6 quart pot to medium-high heat and once hot add the oil. Add the meat and brown, 7 or 8 minutes. Add onions, celery, and Punjab Lal, another 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beer, salt, sugar, rosemary, and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. Add carrots, simmer 30 additional minutes. Add potatoes, simmer 30 final minutes. Salt and pepper to taste if required, serve.